Known as the Grove Theater from the 1930s until the late 1950s, the Nuangola Grove was a well-known summer stock theater. The theater received notoriety for providing well-known actor Kirk Douglas his first-ever leading role in 1941. Mr. Douglas discusses the theater in his book, "The Ragman's Son". He performed at the theater for 18 weeks before moving to New York City in the fall.
In the late 1950s the theater was sold to the Diocese of Scranton and was renamed St. Ann's Church. St. Ann's continued as a place of worship for nearly 50 years when the Diocese decided to close the church due to a shortage of priests.
In April, 2001, the Nuangola Lake Association and the Nuangola Volunteer Fire Department partnered to purchase, restore, and preserve this community landmark. After 2 years of renovations performed by area architects, plumbers, electricians, contractors, and residents, the Nuangola Grove reopened to the public.
Today, the Grove is a center for the community and the arts, and will once again return to its theater roots providing a venue for professional theater.
Since 2012 Theatre at the Grove has been produced by Cutting Edge Productions under the helm of Producing Artistic Director Michael Marone.
A BIT ABOUT THE GROVE THEATRE